Québec City, January 31, 2019 – In recognition of the importance and size of Routes Americas 2019, the honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Tourism, Official Languages and La Francophonie, will be in Québec City on February 13 to meet with hundreds of airline transport industry decision-makers from around the world. She will be giving a conference on economic opportunities in tourism, an initiative that aligns closely with her Canadian tour to develop the new federal tourism strategy.
“The tourism economy is one of the country’s largest vectors of growth, with 1.8 million jobs in the industry, or 10% of all jobs in the country. Increased air accessibility helps drive the growth of Canadian tourism. I am excited to meet with industry leaders to discuss how we can further secure Canada’s place on the world stage. I congratulate the work of the Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport to bring Routes Americas to Québec City. This is an incredible opportunity to consolidate sustainable relationships and, above all, show the world what Canada has to offer,” stated the minister.
“Routes Americas is one of the largest and most prestigious events in the airline industry. It’s an invaluable opportunity to build relationships with airlines from around the world. We’re thrilled to welcome minister Joly to this event. We share her desire to demonstrate the Québec City area’s economic and tourism potential on an international scale, in addition to showcasing YQB and its cutting-edge facilities,” stated Gaëtan Gagné, President and CEO of YQB.
Minister Joly recently granted Mr. Gagné the WestJet Airport Innovation & Excellence Award during the Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC)’s Canadian Tourism Awards. This prestigious award recognizes Mr. Gagné’s vision and many accomplishments, as well as his hard work and devotion to the airport and tourism industries.
Routes Americas is the largest route development forum in the Americas. It will be held in Canada this year for the first time, with Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB) hosting. From February 12 to 14, hundreds of influencers from the airline industry will gather in Québec City to plan and negotiate the future of air services while discovering the area’s beauty and business potential. This annual forum will allow airports in Canada and the Americas to meet with major influencers and develop valuable relationships with some of the most influential aviation professionals in the world. Geneviève Guilbault, deputy premier of Québec, Minister of Public Security and Minister responsible for the Capitale-Nationale region, is the honorary president of the event.
About Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB)
YQB is managed by Aéroport de Québec Inc., the private corporation responsible since November 1, 2000 for the management, operation, maintenance and development of Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB). Around a dozen carriers use YQB to offer connections to North America, Central America, the Caribbean, Mexico and Europe, and daily flights to the main hubs in eastern North America.
- 2018 – Airport Innovation and Excellence Award – Canadian Tourism Awards
- 2018 – Excellence in Communication Practices – ACI-NA
- 2018 – INOVA Award from the Urban Development Institute of Québec
- 2018 – Level 2 Airport Carbon Accreditation certification
- 2018 – Grands prix du génie-conseil québécois – mechanical and electrical building engineering
- 2018 – Employee Recommended Workplace Awards, presented by Morneau Shepell and The Globe and Mail
- 2017 and 2015 – Priority Pass Lounge of the Year Awards – Best lounge in North America
- 2017 – Élixir PMI-Montréal award for outstanding management of the YQB 2018 project
- 2017 – Boomerang Award – website or application – service of the year award for the “YQB, Aéroport de Québec” mobile app
- 2016 – Boomerang Award – website or application – service of the year award for the “aeroportdequebec.com” website
- 2016 – Priority Pass Lounge of the Year Awards – Highly Commended
- 2013/2011/2010 – Best airport in North America in the 0 to 2 million passenger category, Airport Service Quality (ASQ)
Advisor, Communications and Media Relations
Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport
Phone: 418 640‑2700, extension 2624