In the beginning
Québec City's airport adventure first begins in 1929, just two years after Charles Lindbergh's historic flight from New York to Paris. The city's first airport hangars are built in Sainte-Foy, the same location where the Centre hospitalier de l’Université Laval (CHUL) now stands. It isn't until the start of World War II that a real airfield is built in Ancienne-Lorette, where the first hangars are constructed for the Royal Canadian Air Force and the 8th Observer School. It is on this site that the first military flight registered in Québec takes place on September 11, 1941.