Environmental and Social Responsibility
As part of its sustainable development policy, Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport has embarked on a process to continuously improve its environmental performance by integrating the principles of sustainable development in its planning and daily operations. Implementation and maintenance of its environmental management system (EMS) is done through such actions as:
- environmental monitoring
- mitigating the impacts of its activities
- compensation measures
A technological watch is also carried out regularly in an effort to identify technological advancements that reduce the consumption of resources and maximize the efficiency of airport activities.
Measures to reduce environmental impacts
Environmental impacts are reduced through the strict monitoring of:
- surface and ground water
- soil integrity
- air quality
- energy use
- noise levels
Impact of noise: ongoing collaboration with the population
Several initiatives have been taken in order to collaborate with the population regarding the impact of noise produced by airport activities. Citizens can express their concerns by any of the following means:
- Airport website
- Social media
- In person
All requests or comments are acknowledged, analyzed and a reply is sent to the citizen. In addition, a Noise Management Committee was implemented in 2005 in order to ensure that the concerns of citizens are handled in a prompt and diligent manner.
As part of its Sustainable Development Policy, Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport is committed to:
- Reducing its production or its consumption of energy, waste, hazardous materials and hazardous waste at the source, and promoting the reuse, recycling and recovery (the 3Rs) to its employees, tenants, service providers and customers
- Appropriately managing its petroleum product storage tanks and monitor those of its tenants to prevent accidental leaks and spills
- Increasing energy efficiency by applying concrete actions to reduce emissions
- Through efficient and optimal management, controlling the use of products that can alter soil, ground and surface water (glycol, de-icing products and pesticides)
- Reducing leaks and the use of substances that are harmful to the ozone layer (halocarbons)
- Effectively managing water consumption, and through regular inspections, ensuring the health of individuals by providing quality safe drinking water
- Listening to employees, tenants, service providers and the general public in order to make the necessary improvements to reduce the impact of its activities on the physical and human environments
- Adopting the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines for the drafting of the annual sustainable development report, the implementation of performance indicators and sustainable development objectives in order to consider the comments submitted by all stakeholders in the decision-making process.
Noise Management Committee
In order to manage aircraft noise issues, Aéroport de Québec inc. implemented a Noise Management Committee. Its main objective is to monitor the impacts of noise produced by airport activities. The committee meets twice a year and is composed of:
- One representative from the ministère des Transports du Québec
- One representative from Transport Canada
- Two representatives from NAV Canada
- Three representatives from Ancienne-Lorette
- One representative from the City of Québec
- One representative from St-Augustin-de-Desmaures
- Two representatives from Aéroport de Québec inc. (AQi)
Committee members evaluate the various aspects of the complaints received from citizens to implement effective and safe noise abatement measures for all stakeholders.
Environmental Management System
Aéroport de Québec inc. has an environmental management system (EMS), which is based on the international ISO 14001 standard. The purpose of this EMS is the:
- compliance with the laws and regulations
- protection of the environment
- ongoing improvement of responsible and innovative practices
In implementing the EMS, Aéroport de Québec inc. analyzed its activities in detail to identify the most important environmental aspects. This analysis resulted in:
- implementation of more than 20 environmental measures, particularly operational procedures and working instructions
- training program for all employees on sustainable development issues
- monitoring program of various significant environmental aspects like rain, black, ground and drinking water, soil, air, energy, recycling, hazardous residual materials, etc.
An ongoing regulatory watch system allows Aéroport de Québec inc. to remain up-to-date on new requirements in environmental protection. System audits and environmental compliance checks are also carried out on a regular basis..
Environmental Achievements of Aéroport de Québec inc.
- Recycling program for hazardous and non-hazardous materials
- The airport's oil tank and hydrocarbon interceptor maintenance and inspection system
- Environmental compensation measure (1,000 trees donated to a non-profit organization for distribution to citizens)
- Compliance with the guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) for the publication of its annual sustainable development report
- Vehicle idling prevention program
- Waste snow management (two onsite snow dumps)
- Efficient de-icing product management
- Halocarbon management
- Maintenance of environmentally friendly trenches and culverts
- Noise Management Committee
- Procedure for efficient management of accidental spills
- Environmental assessments for new projects and efforts to reduce water and energy consumption for new structures
- Wildlife management program
To closely monitor the quality of rain, black and ground water, we carry out some 150 analyses every year on rainwater samples collected from our two outlets. In total more than 20 piezometers are installed onsite.
Sustainable Development Policy
Responsible for the management and operations of the Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport, Aéroport de Québec inc. (AQi) is committed to preserving the integrity of the physical and human environment, and the sustainability of the organization by adopting responsible practices and transparency in keeping with the principles of sustainable development, which include social responsibility, environmental protection and efficient management of organizational assets. To achieve this, AQi must:
- Adhere to the principles of corporate social responsibility by adopting a transparent attitude while being attentive to all its stakeholders
- Ensure environmental compliance and implement responsible processes and practices for continuous improvement of its environmental performance
- Reduce pollution, air emissions, waste and discharges that may affect the ecosystems
- Minimize its consumption of raw materials, energy, water and supplies
- Educate and train its employees about sustainable development and environmental protection practices
- Suggest to its service providers, business partners and tenants that they adopt the same practices that are respectful of the environment
- Continuously measure the progress of its performance in sustainable development and environmental protection in order to initiate action plans that will improve its performance and correct any non-compliance or performance that is considered as being below established targets.
This Policy is part of AQi's and its leadership's readiness to preserve the physical, human, and organizational environments in which it operates, and is in keeping with the principles of sustainable development, protection of the environment and ongoing improvement of its performance. In addition, AQi also subscribes to the principles of Sustainability Reporting Guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI).
Download the PDF version of the policy : Sustainable development policy Aéroport de Québec inc.