Québec City, May 10, 2019 – On Saturday, August 24, 2019, Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB) will be holding the first 5 KM YQB, where some 1,200 participants will have the chance to run the airport’s main runway. The 5 KM YQB is a unique opportunity for people in the Québec City area to see the airport from a different angle—one that’s normally not available to the public. This type of race has already proven successful at other Canadian airports, but this will be a first in Quebec. Avjet and Air Canada have partnered with the airport to sponsor the event.
“I’m thrilled with the idea of welcoming more than 1,000 people from the greater Québec City area to our airport. I can’t wait to bring them to the heart of the action, where planes take off and land every day. YQB’s employees and partners are working hard to make this an exciting experience for the runners and everyone who comes to cheer them on. The entire airport community has stepped up to help with this event, which will support two leading local organizations,” stated Stéphane Poirier, President and CEO of YQB.
This promises to be a festive and family-friendly event with a quick course. Participants can take advantage of their trip to the airport to get a behind-the-scenes look at airport operations and see some interesting equipment, including aircraft.
The money raised for this event will go to the Fondation CERVO, which supports mental health research, and Centraide Québec et Chaudière-Appalaches, which supports a large network of community organizations.
Registration opens on May 10, 2019, at 5kmyqb.com. The first 200 participants will receive an early-bird rate.
Date: Saturday, August 24, 2019
Time: 7AM to 12 PM
Location: Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport
5K starting price: $30 early-bird rate (first 200 participants) and $35 normal rate until June 15
1.5K starting price: $10 per child
Thank you to our partners
This unique event is made possible by the help of numerous partners: Avjet, Air Canada, Air Transat, PAL Airlines, Le Soleil, Rouge FM et Sunwing.
About Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB)
YQB is managed by Aéroport de Québec Inc., the private corporation responsible since November 1, 2000 for the management, operation, maintenance and development of Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB). Around a dozen carriers use YQB to offer connections to North America, Central America, the Caribbean, Mexico and Europe, and daily flights to the main hubs in eastern North America.
- 2019 – Best Environmental Practices – ACI-NA
- 2019 and 2018 – Employee Recommended Workplace Awards, presented by Morneau Shepell and The Globe and Mail
- 2018 – Airport Innovation & Excellence Award – Canadian Tourism Awards
- 2018 – Excellence in Communication Practices – ACI-NA
- 2018 – INOVA Award from the Urban Development Institute of Québec
- 2018 – Level 2 Airport Carbon Accreditation certification
- 2018 – Grands prix du génie-conseil québécois – mechanical and electrical building engineering
- 2017 and 2015 – Priority Pass Lounge of the Year Awards – Best lounge in North America
- 2017 – Élixir PMI-Montréal award for outstanding management of the YQB 2018 project
- 2017 – Boomerang Award – website or application – service of the year award for the “YQB, Aéroport de Québec” mobile app
- 2016 – Boomerang Award – website or application – service of the year award for the “aeroportdequebec.com” website
- 2016 – Priority Pass Lounge of the Year Awards – Highly Commended
- 2013/2011/2010 – Best airport in North America in the 0 to 2 million passenger category, Airport Service Quality (ASQ)
Twitter : QuebecYQB
Facebook : facebook.com/aeroportdequebec
Web : www.aeroportdequebec.com
Advisor, Communications and Media Relations
Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport
Phone: 418 640‑2700, extension 2624