AVOPs, or Airside Vehicle Operations Permits, are issued by Aéroport de Québec Inc. Only those with an operational need to drive airside may hold this permit.
Types of permits
There are three types of AVOPs:
- Type D: authorizes the holder to operate vehicles in the movement areas. Drivers must have a Restricted Operator Certificate with Aeronautical Qualification (ROC-A).
- Type D4: authorizes the holder to operate vehicles on the aprons and on the Delta taxiway. Drivers must have a Restricted Operator Certificate with Aeronautical Qualification (ROC-A).
- Type DA: authorizes the holder to operate vehicles on the aprons.
Before a person is granted the privilege of driving airside, they must:
- Hold a valid Canadian, American, or international driver’s license
- Complete and pass the Canadian Airport Security Awareness Program (CASAP) online training
- Hold a RAIC for YQB
- D and D4 permits: hold a valid Restricted Operator Certificate with Aeronautical Qualification (ROC-A) certificate (learn more)
- Fill out the application form by clicking on the following link: APPLICATION FOR AN AIRSIDE VEHICLE OPERATIONS PERMIT (AVOP).
- Only your employer’s designated AVOP manager can send the signed form.
IMPORTANT: In preparation for the theory exam, read the Restricted Area Traffic Directive (RATD):
- English version: Restricted Area Traffic Directive (RATD)
- Version française: Directive sur la circulation en zone réglementée (DCZR)
- You will receive an email with your login information for the e-learning platform.
- Complete the online theory course.
- Complete both mandatory exams:
- You must have 100% on the first exam (AVOP Exam – Elimination). You will have 30 minutes to complete the exam.
- You must have a minimum of 80% for the second exam (AVOP Exam). You will have 30 minutes to complete the exam.
IMPORTANT: If you fail one of the qualifying exams, you will be able to retake the exams after:
First failure: one (1) business day
Second failure: five (5) business days
Third failure: twenty (20) business days
Fourth failure: Review by Airport Security
Once you have passed your theory exams, you will be able to practice your airside driving with your employer’s AVOP manager before moving on to the final step.
D4 and DA permits: Make an appointment by calling 418-640-0707. The appointment lasts about 45 minutes.
D permits: Make an appointment by emailing email@example.com. The appointment lasts about 60 minutes.
Upon successful completion of the practical exam, you will be invited to make an appointment with the Pass Control Office to complete your permit.