Added to the fares on all flights departing from Québec City, the air improvement fee (AIF) of $35 plus taxes enables Aéroport de Québec inc., a non-profit organization without share capital, to invest in the improvement of user services. The fees collected by Aéroport de Québec inc. are entirely reinvested in:
- Capital expenditure program aimed at maintaining and improving airport infrastructure
- Improvement of user services
AIF generally applies to all departing enplaned passengers from Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport (YQB). However, there are few limited exemptions for:
- Connecting passengers (meaning passengers who are continuing a journey less than 4 hours after arrival at the airport for domestic Canada and transborder itineraries, and passengers who are continuing a journey less than 24 hours after arrival at the airport for international itineraries);
- Airline employees travelling on business; and
- Infants under two years of age for whom no ticket was purchased.
This fee collection method is commonly used in most major airports across the country, and thanks to the funds raised, all customers can take full advantage of improved airport facilities.