Through its mission, Aéroport de Québec aims to maintain sound and rigorous financial and environmental management to continue its growth and long term development.
- Environmental policy
- Environment, Security, and Safety Committee
- Environmental management system and monitoring programs
As the manager and operator of the Jean Lesage International Airport, Aéroport de Québec has embraced its social responsibilities and environmental concern by integrating a sustainable development approach into its activities while operating within its means.
To improve its environmental performance, Aéroport de Québec is committed to
- Complying with environmental laws and regulations and promoting practices essential to the sustainable development of its operations
- Integrating environmental concerns into its operational, financial, and health and safety considerations as part of decision-making processes in all areas of activity
- Advocating preventive and corrective action to mitigate the environmental repercussions of its activities, including its fixed assets and the new projects and activities it wishes to launch
- Preventing environmental repercussions by limiting resource consumption, as well as air, water, and soil pollution, and by adopting an integrated land management strategy that reduces negative effects on fauna and flora
- Planning its activities with respect for the surrounding communities, paying special attention to the impact of noise
- Informing and building awareness among directors, managers, and all staff about the importance of protecting the environment within the scope of their duties
- Encouraging tenants, clients, and suppliers to adopt preventive management practices in keeping with the current environmental policy, and to observe laws, regulations, and other requirements related to the environment
- Regularly evaluating its environmental performance and communicating the results to those concerned
Ensure the environmental management system is implemented and maintained in accordance with the airport’s environmental policy and environmental management handbook
- Meet annually with the board of directors to review the environmental management system and make improvements
- Present the annual environmental management plan (projects) to the board of directors
- Ensure the management system is audited once a year and present the results to the board of directors
- Report on environmental issues at every board of directors meeting
Four members of the board of directors, including Yvan-Miville Des Chênes, chair of the Environment Committee, and Gaëtan Gagné, president and CEO of the Québec City Jean Lesage International Airport. They are joined by Jimmy Gagné, the airport’s director of operations.
Noise Management Committee
- Evaluate the various aspects of aircraft noise management, from complaints to new environmental requirements, as well as any other relevant matters;
- Evaluate issues and make recommendations to Aéroport de Québec
- Two representatives from federal and provincial government
- Three representatives from the City of Québec and local area governments
- Two representatives from the aeronautics industry
- Two representatives from Aéroport de Québec
Environmental Management System
Aéroport de Québec has an environmental management system (EMS). Its objectives include compliance with laws and regulations, environmental protection, and continuous improvement.
In implementing the EMS, Aéroport de Québec analyzed its activities to identify the most important environmental aspects. More than twenty operational procedures and a number of other working instructions were established. A training program for all employees and a program to monitor and measure environmental aspects were created. A regulatory watch system keeps us alert to new environmental requirements. Systems audits and environmental compliance checks are carried out on a regular basis.
Here are some of Aéroport de Québec’s environmental achievements:
- Recycling program for hazardous and non-hazardous residual materials
- Oil tank and oil interceptor maintenance and inspection program
- Vehicle idling prevention program
- Waste snow management (two onsite snow dumps)
- Efficient de-icing product management (storage, handling, and application)
- Halocarbon management
- Maintenance of environmentally friendly trenches and culverts
- Procedure for efficient management of accidental spills
- Environmental assessments for new projects and efforts to reduce energy and water consumption for new structures
- Wildlife management program
Aéroport de Québec also monitors rain, black, and ground water quality. Nearly 150 analyses are carried out every year on rainwater samples collected from our two outlets. The multipoint groundwater quality monitoring system allows us to evaluate the effects of site activities along with the rain and black water monitoring systems. In total more than 20 piezometers are installed onsite.